If you are thinking about re-roofing your home, knowing everything you can before you make this big investment is crucial. The average cost of a new roof is anywhere from $10,000 to upwards of $30,000 depending on the quality of materials used. Choosing a reputable roofing company, knowing your budget and style goals, and what type of damages you need to avoid with your new roof that caused your old roof to fail are important to note when deciding to get roof installation services. Since leaks are the most common damage to occur to a roof, getting durable roofing materials with waterproof and seamless flashing or decking is beneficial. Burell Built Exteriors, LLC provides roof installation in Knoxville and Chattanooga, TN. Call us at 865-238-2628 if you are needing roofing systems in Chattanooga and Knoxville replaced or repaired.
Getting a New Roof: What To Expect
A roof replacement involves more than just installing a brand new roof. Many damages occur too early from improper and rushed installation methods that skip over critical but often forget about aspects of your roof. These include the areas that are barely considered when thinking of a roofing system: the gutters, chimney, flashing, soffit and fascia. In order to ensure you have a well-built roofing system that will last, these five points need to be considered when getting roof replacement services.
Important Things To Consider During a Roof Installation
- Install flashing around your eaves: The best deterrent of water damage is having accurate flashing! Flashing is like a sealant for your roof that covers any gaps where water can seep through. Placing the flashing around your eaves, chimney, and other hard-to-reach areas that your roofing membrane misses prevents rainwater, ice dams, and animals from being able to enter through small cracks in your roof.
- Get good roof ventilation: Having properly installed and maintained soffit, fascia, and attic ventilation is key to helping your roof last longer. Hot air rises and gets trapped in your roof’s membrane decking, causing it to warp and fail. You’ll notice that your house is not being evenly cooled, or cooled at all when your roof is not getting good ventilation, causing your energy bills to skyrocket as your HVAC system has to work twice as hard to regulate temperatures.
- Install a chimney cap that is airtight: While having hot air escape is good in the warmer seasons, you want good insulation for those colder days. Hot air also escapes through your fireplace and chimney when the chimney cap is completely airtight. Installing metal flashing around its base will do the trick in properly ventilating and insulating air.
- Get energy efficient shingles: When installing roof shingles, choose shingles that are lighter in color and more lightweight. Choosing slightly more expensive shingles like architectural or 3 tab over asphalt shingles. Since asphalt shingles are made of darker color materials like felt and tar, they absorb sunlight, which heats up your roof and causes your home to feel hotter, raising not only the temperature, but your energy bills as well.
- Install low maintenance gutters: Paying more upfront for higher quality gutters are worth it as it prevents you from having to constantly clean out debris and leaves. Gutter guards are also designed like a filter to prevent clogs and overflow, which significantly lessens water damage to your roof. Low maintenance gutter systems like gutter guards work so well, they are even mandated in some storm prone states.
Things To Ask When Getting Roofing Quotes
Even if the roofing contractor agrees and says that they are able to perform the above-mentioned tasks, don’t hire them just yet until you ask some more important questions. They could be scam artists just readily agreeing to whatever you ask in order to make a quick buck and leave you with a poorly installed roof. If you have any questions about what to look for in roofing companies, or want our professional roof installation services in Knoxville and Chattanooga, TN, call Burell Built Exteriors, LLC at 865-238-2628 today. Other critical things you should ask when getting roofing quotes are:
- Are you licensed and bonded?
- How long will the job take?
- How much will it cost? Are there any deposits required, and if so, how much?
- Will you pay and obtain the necessary permits?
- What is the warranty on your services?
- Do you recycle the old roof and do you clean up when you are done?
How To Choose Roof Material Types
There are many styles of roofing materials you can choose from when deciding to get roof installation in Knoxville and Chattanooga, TN from Burell Built Exteriors, LLC when you call us at 865-238-2628. What roof material is best? Metal and tile roofing are the best options for longevity, but they are also on the pricier side. All types of residential roof materials provide some form of energy efficiency, but for optimum reflectivity, metal is the premier choice. Shingle and cedar shake shingle roofs are best for a textured and classic appearance. If you are willing to pay more upfront for a roof that will last a century, slate and tile resist just about everything imaginable for the ultimate in durability. The only downside is that they are extremely heavy, and some homes cannot support the weight. Getting a roof inspection can determine if your foundation can handle the pressure and weight.
What Roof Material Is Best?
- Residential Metal Roofing: Popular metal materials for residential roofs include standing seam, aluminum, steel, copper, metal shingles, and stone coated steel. Not only is metal roofing extremely long lasting and durable, but it is also classified as a green roofing system. What is green roof installation, you ask? A green roofing system is just any environmentally friendly roofing system that does not add any harmful chemicals into the air, is recyclable, and uses natural energy as fuel. Metal is recyclable and highly reflective, making it one of the best roofing choices for significant energy and money savings. The cost for a metal roof can be anywhere from $13,000 to $21,000.
- Shingle Roofing: The cheapest of all roofing systems, shingles are also known to be the most finicky, high maintenance, and unstable of the options. Asphalt shingles only last 20 years, which makes their installation prices very low, around $2,000 to $6,000. Higher end shingles like architectural can cost up to $12,000 but last 30 years. Wood shake shingles cost the most, from anywhere to $16,000 to $27,000, but they boost curb appeal and property value exponentially.
- Tile Roofing: Since tile is made of fragile pieces, installation must be done very carefully to ensure that your roofing system will last the 50 to 100 years it is supposed to. This not only raises the labor prices, but increases the amount of days it takes to install it. Tile is very heavy, so modifications are often needed beforehand before the tile can even be installed on the roof. Costs can range anywhere from $12,000 to $30,000